Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Was Feeling Under The Weather Now Feeling Much Better

Last Tuesday, I could not gain warmth. I wore slipper socks, slippers, sweatpants, sweatshirt and a sweater. I crawled under three blankets, piled the pets on top of me and hoped for a bit of warming. Finally, a few hours later the coldness in my fingers and toes subsided and a coziness spread all over.

Around 5:30AM, I awoke to a stabbing pain radiating from my shoulder, under my breast into the ribs and was felt in my back on the right side. It hurt especially bad to take a deep breath or stand up straight, so I hunched over and breathed rather shallow to minimize the pain.

Straightaway, I ruled out a heart attack. No numbness and I was able to walk. I took three 800mg Motrin and waited patiently for the pain to subside and it did. I then considered that more than likely, I'd experienced muscle spasms. I didn't think about it again, although I continued to pop more Motrin and had the feeling that someone had punched me in the back.

What concerned me, was during the hike on Saturday at the Tandy Hills, I became winded quite suddenly. I didn't tell anyone, because I didn't want anyone thinking I wasn't a wild woman or that I was suffering from Gar the Texan's vapors.

I decided that maybe I hadn't experienced muscle spasms after all and a trip to my doc was in order. So, here's your public service announcement:
If it doesn't feel quite right, then it isn't!

My supposed muscle spasms diagnosed by moi, was actually a touch of PNEUMONIA! Yikes! Now, I'm on a healthy round of antibiotics and all should be well soon again.


7 comments:

Durango said...

Yikes! Pneumonia! When did you get winded on the Wild Women hike? Glad you went to a doc before the pneumonia went full blown.

Jovan Gonzales said...

YOU HAVE PNEUMONIA!?!?! Nooooooo!!! I feel your pain. I used to get bronchial pneumonia quite often and it was the pits. I hope you feel about 12 times better today than you have! I'm sorry! See ... all that nasty Fart Worth air destroyed your immune system!!! DAMN THOSE DRILLERS!!! :D

Cheap Tricks and Costly Truths said...

Durango,
It was when I was chasing up the hill behind you to the escape vehicle.

During Tuesday's workout, I felt weakened and then during my flat bench flys, geez...my chest just hurt really bad. I decided to take myself to the ER and glad I did. :) The week before we got out for Christmas break we didn't have electricity the entire week. So, we worked in a building with no heat! I'm thinking that's what did me in.

Jovan,
Yes, feeling a whole lot better!!! You're right...this isn't fun! Okay, I'd be willing to blame it on the drillers!

Durango said...

CT2---
You seemed to handle the escape flawlessy. I had not the slightest clue you were near respiratory failure. We should have let Annie that ice in that little pond while you caught your breath. I'm feeling guilty. I'm used to moving fast and figured you were too cuz you jog.

Cheap Tricks and Costly Truths said...

Please, don't feel guilty! That's what was a bit disconcerting, I'd been doing a 10 minute mile on the treadmill two weeks prior before starting the cables portion of my workouts...I'd never thought that I'd get winded walking quickly up a hill! Don't worry, I'll be back in tip top shape in a couple of weeks, then I'll take that hill once more, if you're willing to give another chance. :)

TXsharon said...

You really are a Wild Woman!!! Pneumonia is quite serious so please give yourself a chance to fully recover.

Cheap Tricks and Costly Truths said...

Well, I'll have no choice now, seeing that it's below freezing!