Saturday, September 12, 2009

A New Addition to the Family

This morning I went out to have my first cup of coffee on the carport while the sun rose and the air around me was a cool 65 degrees. I had left the window down in my old 1992 blue Nissan pickup and as I walked past it, I noticed a small black furry object laying on the seat. It was larger than a tarantula but smaller than a skunk. Upon further inspection, it was a kitty that started his little row boat just a purring up a storm as soon as it saw me.

Hmm...what to do? I knew the moment that Annie sees this little creature that her first question would be, "can we keep him?". I lifted the kitty from my vehicle, placed him on the ground and quietly shooed him away. He didn't listen, but continued to gradually purr louder and louder and rub against my legs. I've been told that you don't pick cats, they pick you. I suppose this little black and white kitty already knew this was his new home.

As a momma, you sometimes have to allow your children to earn or work a little for the things they want. I've learned over the years, that things gotten easily are easily lost or forgotten, but those things in which you've had to work hard for...treasured and appreciated. I didn't tell Annie about the kitty, but thought I'd let her find out about him all on her own.

I came inside leaving the kitty outside and then proceeded making blueberry muffins for breakfast. The baking of muffins and washing of bowls woke my youngest. The first thing she does upon waking is find Shelby, the munchkin and she always goes out front to check on her flowers.

I sat quietly, awaiting my little one's re-entrance into the house...I knew it wouldn't be long before she'd have something to tell me. "Momma, there's this really cute little black and white kitty outside. It's tail is bent and it has a scratch under his neck." I replied, "Really?" "Oh, yes. And you should hear him purr...he sounds just like Sparky." Sparky, was our Russian Blue that died mysteriously a few months ago.

I went out with Annie to inspect the kitty. Agreed with her that he purred just like Sparky. Noticed that he got along well enough with Diamond, our Siamese. That's quite a task, because Diamond is a snob and she doesn't like anyone. She only hissed slightly at the kitty and then stalked away, tail high in the air.

I went back inside and finished up morning dishes, cleaned the counters, swept and mopped the kitchen floor. Annie approached me yearning to ask a question. "Momma, the kitty's really nice and he's not afraid of Diamond. He won't stop following me around. He doesn't have many fleas and he looks pretty healthy...do you think we can keep him?"

So, we have a new kitty. Annie named him Whisky. She bought him a flea collar, some Friskies can food, a toy mouse and made him a scratching post. Soon, we'll take him to the vet for a check up and shots and possibly if he's old enough to be neutered.

4 comments:

Durango said...

That is a cute story. But, Annie is too young to have Whisky.

Cheap Tricks and Costly Truths said...

Your grandma never made you hott totties for your coughs and colds?

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the story of my Seal-point Siamese, Jeremiah.

While working one night in Harahan, the other officer I was working with met me at a country club there, and while we were talking this beautiful cat comes strolling up out of the darkness. He proceeds to jump up on the hood of my patrol car, steps on the driver's side mirror and jumps in the open window.

You can imagine my surprise when he plops himself down on the passenger seat and looks at me with an expression of "What ya waiting for dummy? Let's get going!"

Needless to say, it turned out that I was the proud new pet of a Siamese cat. My biggest concern was my roommate's 85 lb half rott/half chow, but it turned out that they got along just fine!

Needless to say, the rest is history!

Ray

Cheap Tricks and Costly Truths said...

Cute story. You should email me a picture of your kitty :)

joelyatrujillo@sbcglobal.net