Sunday, August 9, 2009

Events Do Not Define, They Reveal CARS

A lot of my friends were excited and hopeful about the Cash for Clunkers program, or government benefit. There was a lot of buzz going around in the beginning...then that faded once the "truth" was revealed about the teaser program.

Some of the truths about the program revealed were that the clunker had to be in use, insured and registered on time...no lapses. I tried to download the official government rules (boy, for a Congress that's into saving trees and going green they sure use a lot of paper) but the pdf document is too enormous for my clunker of a computer. That's what I'd be interested in, cash for clunker computers. From what I've read over the past few days is that the program has run out of money and now Congress has hurriedly passed additional monies to be allotted for the ever expanding, ruled program. The 2billion will be passed without truly knowing what's happened to all the other money used for the program. I guess if there's been fraud we won't know until much later.

The Denver Post did a good job in voicing some of my concerns about the program. Like a lot of other consumers, I never buy new cars. I've always purchased used, I let the wealthier consumers take the beating on the overhead and new sticker price. This has also been addressed:

Our original concern was that, even with the rebates, many lower-income drivers wouldn't be able to afford a new car. So it is encouraging to see Sens. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., and Susan Collins, R-Maine, saying that they will argue for the extended program to also allow the low-income buyers to purchase fuel-efficient, used cars.

No comments: