Monday, April 20, 2009

My Lucky 13

Last time I said that I would give you my 13 steps on how I developed a strong self concept...I didn't develop these all by myself, but have taken a few from books and friends...so, here they are:

1. I identified and replaced my self-limiting beliefs. Self-rejection was the biggie...and now, of course...I just love myself.

2. I taught people how to treat me. If that didn't work...I just kicked them to the curb! No, really...I had to tell some people that certain behaviors were just unacceptable. Others I revealed what I really appreciated and wanted from them.

3. I am always learning something new. I love reading; blogs, editorials, novels, expository...you name it...I like to read it. (even letters in Playboy!)

4. I listened to and read positive messages. That's what I have Lara for! She's great...always uplifting.

5. I removed "I should have" from my vocabulary. It's time to kick the shoulda habit and replace it with "What I learned".

6. I used and still do, positive affirmations. My favorite is when I look in the mirror, I say out loud "You are very sexy and ALL men and women of the greater good find you attractive!" That one is fun.

7. I stepped out of my comfort zone and took risks. Taking the teaching job at the boy's prison was definitely out of my comfort zone. I think I'll also take Gar's suggestion and try Karaoke.

8. I documented my success. Before blogging...there was the handy journal. When I went back to finish my bachelors, I was petrified. I wrote every day in the journal and as I went back and looked at what I had written...it was very funny. Some of it was just, "What am I doing? I can't get all of this crap done!"

9. I celebrated the small victories. Whatever goal I made and achieved, I enjoyed with my family.

10. I helped someone else. This list is unending and continues to grows. Helping others does assist in building your own self esteem. I get to forget myself and focus on someone else.

11. I built a social network of support. This step was very important, considering I had isolated myself completely. Making new friends and rekindling golden friendships has been a life saver and changer.

12. I have set and worked toward challenging goals. The masters, the diet, planting trees...all these things are on my list.

13. I rewarded myself. This last step...is the best. I made sure that I built in meaningful rewards. I made these celebrations mile stones on my path.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Watch-out world, here she comes!

You are destined to do some great things in life, and you are well on your way.

I BS you not, I know about these things.
:)

Cheap Tricks and Costly Truths said...

I have confidence in your words...

Anonymous said...

Girl I love these. Can u send them to me?

Cheap Tricks and Costly Truths said...

Your wish has been granted...luv ya much ;)