Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Totem ~~Rush First Class Saddletramp

I couldn't find a Youtube video of Rush singing and playing Totem, but I did enclose a link so that you can listen to the song.

"I believe in what I see
I believe in what I hear
I believe that what I'm feeling
Changes how the world appears."

Chapter 5 of Ghost Rider explores the idea that due to our beliefs and feelings we shape our experiences. I completely agree with Neil. Take for instance some of the boys I teach at West Texas State School in Pyote...angry young men; their experience takes the shape of disillusionment and hate. His animosity only appears towards stranger, unable to comprehend why him and why not them.

Neil does visit his brother and sister-in-law, and truly enjoys his time with them. He also pays a visit to another couple and comes to the conclusion that solitary hiking can also soothe the soul. He experiences another uncomfortable moment with a flirtatious woman. He gets the feeling that he has an aura of tragedy about him which attracts the opposite sex. During the course of writing a letter to an old friend, Neil realizes that no matter where he goes, he has a sense of having a "deep dark hole" right beside him. He ponders reincarnation when he encounters two seals that follow him on the water, only coming to the conclusion that he's too much of a rational scientist to truly believe. Chapter 5 ends with a strange visit from an owl outside his hotel window. He makes an allusion to Poe's The Raven, and acquires an eerie sensation. He remembered from the Margaret Craven novel, I Heard the Owl Call My Name; that the owl symbolized Death approaching for the one who heard it.


No comments: