Tuesday, May 26, 2009

New Mexico Law Dogs Don't Recognize Texas Disabled Veteran Plates

I took a nap before going to the gym to workout, but overslept. While sleeping, I received several calls; one from a friend in El Paso, another from a friend in Gulf Port, and a final call from Kaplan University. Kaplan called because I'm interested in working on a Master's in Curriculum and Instruction. In my email to Kaplan, I said that I don't have extra money to invest that I only want to use government grants to pay for school, we'll see how that goes.

Since I was running late already, I didn't return any one's call. I needed to get to the gym to see one of my most favorite people, Jesse. Jesse is always smiling and very positive, I love to be around him. He is definitely not a toxic person or even has negative behaviors to contend with. Jesse is also a brain cancer survivor, but t
he doctors were not able to remove Jesse's tumor because of it's location . He retired from the Navy as a disabled veteran. He had been in Albuquerque last week getting treatment at the VA and we couldn't work out together. When I arrived at the gym, Jesse had his hands on his hips, gave me a scolding smile and said, "You're late!" I mouthed, "I'm sorry."

Jesse then proceeded to relate an incredulous story. After receiving treatment at the VA hospital in Albuquerque and upon returning to his vehicle, he spotted a police officer writing a ticket. He questioned the officer about the ticket, the officer replied that Jesse had parked illegally in a handicapped parking space. Jesse then pointed out that his license plates allowed him to park there because printed on the plates was Disabled Vet. The officer stated that New Mexico doesn't recognize Texas disabled plates because there isn't a wheelchair stamped on the plates.

At first I thought that this officer was just having a bad day, you know, missed his morning coffee or something, but then Jesse said it happened again in a parking garage, he received another ticket for the same offense, so apparently New Mexico isn't honoring Texas plates!



I did a little bit of research and found that in the state of New Mexico...disabled veterans can't park in handicapped zones, that they also must have a placard. If you're a disabled vet from any other state...beware!

2 comments:

Durango said...

Now that is just way too wrong. One can not help but wonder what Texas did to New Mexico that would make New Mexico act in a way that seems so wrong.

If Jesse has an inoperable cancer tumor in the brain, how is he managing to be healthy enough to be in a gym?

Cheap Tricks and Costly Truths said...

Radiation and Chemo, as well as cancer cocktails has worked for Jesse and it's not spreading, or metastatised. Jesse's mom and dad died from cancer. His sister is now receiving treatment as well, for cancer. With him being a high risk...Jesse caught his early.

Also, because he has veteran benefits he was able to get treatment quickly. In the onset while Jesse was going frequently for treatment he was lethargic and unable to do much, but now his visits are about every two or three months.

I suppose that inoperable infers that nothing could be done...