Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Purposefully Peeling, The Jessner Chemical Peel and My Experience


Over the weekend, I experienced a Jessner chemical peel. Normally, I would have scheduled the procedure during my week off from school, but a colleague of mine shared with me that she gets them on the weekend, loofahs real good and goes right onto work. Since, I've scheduled a mini vacation next weekend to Joy Land in Lubbock and then onto Fossil Rim Wildlife Center, I decided to get the peel earlier, go to work, not have any down time.

As I'm relaxing on the bed in my dermatologist's peel room with my face burning like red hot chili peppers, I told her what my esteemed colleague said about scrubbing off the dead skin with a loofah. She emphatically replied, "YOU CAN'T DO THAT!" Of course, I wanted to know why. She then responded matter of factly that it causes scarring and sometimes infections. Well, I surely didn't want that!

Sunday morning, I woke to find that my facial skin color had metamorphosised to a dark marroon color. Feeling rather foolish, I put on my biggest and tightest smile (since my skin now looked like leather stretched across a bowl) and went to church...I had to go...I'm the pianist. People at church were polite, didn't ask questions, just smiled and shook their heads slightly.

I finally returned home and kept going into the bathroom waiting for something to happen. It never did. Monday morning I checked the mirror...no peeling. I thought that maybe my face would peel completely today and there would be no worries when I returned to work Tuesday.

Tuesday morning, I awoke...horror stricken...to find that my face had started to peel, but only in patches. I stared at my reflection for a long painful time. I applied the exfoliente, but to no avail.

So, here I sit at school with my face looking like a diseased hairless cat with psorasis, all the while my precious boys asking non-stop questions. Of course, I won't admit to having purposefully done this to myself, and reply that I merely got too much sun this weekend.

2 comments:

Durango said...

What in the world was this barbaric procedure supposed to do for you?

Cheap Tricks and Costly Truths said...

Make me look 10 years younger...sigh/