Sunday, December 6, 2009

Checking On Friends After A Gas Line Fire Forces Evacuation

One of my best friends from junior high lives in Pearl, MS. I used to live in Wiggins, MS which isn't far from there. She and I attended Hattiesburg Prep School seventh grade together, and we have stayed in touch since then. Imagine my worry and concern when I find out that there was a pipe line fire in her area!

She told me that a contractor was putting down some fiber optic cable and in the process of digging hit the pipe line. What was truly disturbing was that the guy digging said that he'd been doing this kind of work for ten years, has hit pipe lines before, but has never had them explode! That means that this pipe line is extremely high pressured.

She and her family are okay and are now able to return home. She said they were a bit shaken, could hear the rumbling from where they live.

Why weren't the pipes marked? Before the digging ensued, the contractor called and was told exactly where to dig to avoid a pipeline. They're guessing that the mapping isn't accurate. Better put a stop to anymore digging before someone gets killed! View the video here.


4 comments:

Tammi said...

I don't even know what to say about this. This is happening way too often. How scary. I hope your friend and her family can relax a little and try to enjoy the rest of the holidays.

Cheap Tricks and Costly Truths said...

I concur, Tammi...extremely scary. And from what I'm making of this...they're not really sure where the pipes are...apparently.

TXsharon said...

Nope. There are pipelines all over the place that they've lost track of or never had track of.

Cheap Tricks and Costly Truths said...

Doesn't seem to be a very efficient way of handling inventory...